Tuesday, July 11, 2017

I'm Back - Sort of...

So, almost 50 days have passed...

Below I'll tell you: 1) what should have happeneed and 2) what really happened during that time:

1) I should have layed down a list of my 25 favorite comics and, since I read some of them years and even decades ago, I should have reread them. Plus: when in doubt I should have reread some of the books or stories that weren't included on my list and see if I wanted to replace an item or a few items...

2) I layed down a first draft of my list, but couldn't stop at 25 and, so, now I have 30 items listed. I reread Summer of Love by Debbie Drechsler and reread a few pages of Daddy's Girl, also by Debbie Drechsler. I also reread a few pages of Speak Low by Montesol and Ghost World by Daniel Clowes. That's it, I guess...
Today I tried to read A Complete Lowlife, by Ed Brubaker, but my eyesight isn't in the best of shapes right now, so, I gave up (even so I liked "Secret Hours"). I almost forgot, but I reread At the Seams, also by Ed Brubaker and I liked it too. 

Now, what, then?...

For starters, I still haven't closed my list. I find it an impossible task and I'm more and more convinced that, to do it properly, it's a full time job. I simply don't have the time nor the inclination to do so. This doesn't mean though, that I give up. If I can't do it properly I must rely on my dim memory...

That's it, I guess, but I have a

PS I'm reading the essay "I Will Not Bow: Analysis of the Feminine Refusal of Hegel's Master-Slave Dialectic in Inuyasha," by Robyn Johnson, in IJOCA (International Journal of Comic Art).
At some point she sez:
Manga is a much more sophisticated form of literature than recognized[.] [...]
She then goes on analysing Inuyasha by Rumiko Takahashi. This is unfortunately a typical reaction among comics critics: they say that comics are a sophisticated art form (sorry for the twisted grammar) and then they prove it pointing at trash.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I appreciate that you read my article. It was one of my earliest publishing, so I admit to its at time cliche nature. Nonetheless, I am thrilled that you still read it despite its failings. Thank you :)

Isabelinho said...

You're welcome! And sorry for the harsh comment! This kind of thing was part of the very nature of this, now defunct, blog.